What is Emotional Wellness?
• Accepting yourself for who you are
• Valuing self-exploration and improvement
• Having a generally positive outlook
• Being able to ask for help
• Having personal boundaries and not over-extending yourself
• Recognizing and managing different stressors
Strategies to enhance Emotional Wellness
Learn how to manage a busy schedule
- Focus on the present moment and what can be controlled, such as your breathing
- Practice five or ten minutes of mindfulness meditation each day
- Strive for balance by making time for things you enjoy and family & friends
Keep your self-esteem high
- Talk yourself up! Make a list in your mind or on paper of all your positive qualities and accomplishments
- Volunteer for something you care about and share your skills and knowledge with others
- Surround yourself with supportive and caring friends
Learn how to deal with worries about exams, relationships, work or unexpected hurdles in your life
- Increase your physical activity. Whether its running, yoga or tennis with a friend, being active will help you manage those stressful moments
- Remember that attitude is everything! Check your perspective and focus on positive thoughts
- Ask for help when you need it. There are many people and resources on campus that can help
Return back to the Wellness Wheel.
© 2010 by Simon Fraser University-Health and Counselling Services Image adapted with permission of Simon Fraser University-Health and Counselling Services, (July 26, 2010). Simon Fraser University maintains all rights of reproduction and publication to this page and the overall Wellness Wheel.